Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Shin Splints are the Devil!

Hey y’all! I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a while: I am a runner. Well, at least I think I am. It could just be a fantasy I’ve tricked myself into believing is real. I’ll let you be the judge.

This past spring, I started running one mile pretty much every day, except maybe one or two days during the week that I took a rest day. It got to the point where I pretty much wanted to run all the time. And so the day of my Senior Prom, I ended up running two miles for the first time (it was also the first time I had used my Nike+ Running app).

I would say things were going great at this point. I was running two miles instead of one every day, and I felt more alive than I had in a while. But all too soon everything was taken from me (or so it felt like).

While on one of my two-mile runs, I began to feel a slight pain in my shins. At the time, I didn’t really know what shin splints were, and I certainly didn’t know what they felt like. I did what any ignorant person would do and ignored it thinking that it would just disappear on its own. However, that didn’t happen. My shins only began to hurt worse until I quit running altogether because of the pain.

It wasn’t until July that I truly started running again. Only this time, I had read Galloway’s Book on Running, and I changed my strategy from running every day to running two days and then taking a rest day. After about a week my shin splints came back as they had their own plan in mind. I couldn’t have been more devastated; all I wanted to do was run. Was that too much too ask?

Apparently so.


My dad ended up taking me to a running shoe store to have me fitted with a proper pair of shoes. We ended up leaving the store with a new pair of running shoes and this thing called “the Stick,” which is used to help massage out sore muscles and shin splints. I whip out my Stick every time I feel the slight pang of my shin splints returning. I usually massage my shins for about twenty minutes (which, for the record, feels like repeatedly hitting a bruise) before icing them.

That usually does the trick!

Well, that’s my two cents! I sincerely hope that if you are struggling with shin splints, that you will find this to be quite helpful. If you have any advice about running that you’d like to share with me please leave a comment below!


Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment