Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Not-So-Short Post on Depression/Anxiety

Before I head off to the writing club with my friend Ivey tonight, I figure I’d write a quick and inspirational (well, I certainly hope it’s inspiring!) post for you all. Anyways, on my ride home from class this afternoon, I found myself thinking about high school and how horrible it was. Scratch that last. I’m going to be brutally honest with you I hated high school. (And that’s putting it lightly.)

My junior and senior years were probably the worst part as I had moved the summer between my sophomore and junior year. I remember crying myself to sleep at night because I just felt so alone, like I didn’t belong anywhere. I went in and out of depression. My anxiety worsened. It pretty much got to the point where I was prescribed medicine and had to see a psychologist.

No one should ever have to feel like that. If you are going through a rough period in your life I want you to know that IT DOES GET BETTER. I know everyone and their mother says that, but it is very much true. I promise you.

This post was heavily influenced by the song ‘Future’ by Paramore. This song came out when I was going this dark period in my life and the words just really struck home for me.

I'm writing the future,
I'm writing it out, loud.
We don't talk about the past,
We don't talk about the past now.

So, I'm writing the future,
I'm leaving a key here.
Something won't always be missing,
You won't always feel emptier.

Ah-ah, mm-mm,
Ah-ah-ah-ah, mm-mm.

Just think of the future,
And think of your dreams.
You'll get away from here,
You'll get away eventually.

So, just think of the future,
Think of a new life.
And don't get lost in the memories,
Keep your eyes on a new prize.

Basically, she (Hayley Williams of Paramore) is saying not to focus so much on the situation. You aren’t always going to feel empty inside, you’re going to get away from high school eventually. It’s only a short period in your life, and you will get away. So focus, instead, on your future and your dreams.

If you haven’t heard the song I’d definitely suggest listening to it. However, the song isn't that upbeat as it is rather slow and sad. Just a warning...


Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post! It means a lot to me. As always, please feel free to leave a comment down below letting me know what you though of this post. Also, if you have any advice on how to deal with this, please leave that in the comments as well.

Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment