Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Your "Opinion" on Harry Potter?

About two weeks ago, my friend Ivey invited some of our friends from school to a tea place. All of us were chatting away when Ivey said, “hey, Savannah, I read the first couple pages of the first Harry Potter book!” (I’ve been trying to get her to read the series for months.) However, this erupted in bashing of the Harry Potter series by our other friends. Let’s just say they are damn lucky I kept my mouth shut because I had some things to say.

First of all, I completely understand where they are coming from. Some of my friends grew up not being allowed to watch Harry Potter as children. But seeing as they (nor their parents for that matter) have not read the series or watched the movies, have no right to be saying what it does or does not have in it (i.e. witchcraft or sorcery). While it does have spells and potions in it, you have the take into account that this is a work of fiction. J. K. Rowling used Latin words for the spells, not actual Wicca.

In addition, there is a lot of Christian theology and moral in the Harry Potter series that I think a lot of people tend to overlook:


  • Harry Potter didn’t grow up like a king despite his “fame” and lived in a cupboard under the stairs with the Dursleys.
  • Harry Potter resisted temptation from characters like Malfoy who are into dark magic throughout the entire series.
  • Harry Potter always made an effort to do the right thing.
  • Harry Potter defeated death.
  • Harry Potter was the only one who could defeat Lord Voldemort.

  • Jesus Christ was born in a stable and didn’t grow up as a king the way everyone thought the Messiah would come.
  • Jesus Christ resisted temptation from the Devil and those around him.
  • Jesus Christ was perfect. He never failed to do what was right.
  • Jesus Christ defeated death.
  • Jesus Christ is the only one who can defeat the Devil.

Furthermore, all of my friends are over eighteen. I think it’s time they start thinking for themselves. Just because your parents say something is “bad” doesn’t mean you have to believe it. You are your own person and can think for yourself. If you don’t like Harry Potter then fine, but don’t not like it because your parents say so. (If that makes sense.) Develop your own opinion.

That’s all I have to say on the topic.


Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment